Sunday 21 August 2011

Ash at the Kasbah, Coventry

When I first heard that Ash were playing at the Kasbah my first thought was - I really used to like them and they had some great songs but I haven't listened to them in years. I think like lots of people after free all angels and the loss of Charlotte Hatherley i just seemed to lose touch with what they were doing. In fact all I could remember is that they had some big idea that albums as a physical format was dying and they were only going to release CD singles - then somewhat ironically they then ended up issuing all the singles as one CD (isn't that an album?!?)

It was therefore with a sense of intrigue that I attended the gig at the Kasbah where I really had no idea what to expect.
It has to be said they really are an excellent band and have done some really great songs (suppose they were very much "a singles band" all along). The most noticeable thing for me is how the whole group really do focus on guitarist and singer Tim Wheeler who is a fantastic guitarist and front man. I am always wary when you see a stage set up with only one microphone as for me choruses and harmonies really make a gig. Somehow, however, Tim manages to make one hell of a sound and all those great Ash choruses sounded as good live as they do on CD. It was also good to see Tim to continue to use the classic Flying V guitar.

The crowd also seemed up for the gig and especially the hits -always good to see a mid week mosh pit like there was for Kung Fu (although wish people could resist the fake kung fu fighting!). The only slow bit of the gig was a somewhat misplaced instrumental song which I guess the hardcore fans might have appreciated but the pop punk atmosphere was soon re established with Shining Light

In the end it was an excellent gig and I really shouldn't have doubted that would be the case, given the bands years of playing live and the brilliant collection of songs they have in their catalogue. I know they are touring again later in the year so if you get the chance make sure you go and see them

No comments:

Post a Comment